Monday, March 19, 2012

My Thoughts: Downton Abbey

Ok. I have to talk about this. I have to come clean.

I am enamored by Downton Abbey.


I have succumbed to the madness.

When I first started the show on Netflix many weeks ago, I was leery. I made it through the first episode and was disappointed. I had heard so many good things about the show and I wanted to LOVE it. The awkward scene of a "man kiss" blew the show for me. I didn't think I could ever watch it again.

Many more weeks of raving reviews brought me back to episode two.

While I had the flu these past couple weeks I made myself rest on the couch. I started Downton Abbey episode two determined to survive one more episode and see if it improved. Oh my. It captivated me.

Thankfully there were no more awkward male-to-male PDA (in fact the homosexual man is made to be the antagonist), and the story line of historical England made me wish I had a British accent and the ability to wear those dresses without people giving me the critical eye! There is certainly a balance of honorable people versus dishonest character.

Season one is set during the time period when women were seeking a voice through suffrage and England faced war with Germany. Opinions vary from person to person on each situation so the watcher sees the friction and struggle that would have taken place amid the rock walls of beautiful Downton Abbey.

I love the intrigue, the mystery, the humor, the costumes, the characters, the storyline, and the presentation of the differences and relationships between servants and masters. I only had access to season one, but WOW. I wanna watch season two!

Someone warned me that the show was like a soap opera. I honestly haven't watched soap operas, so I don't know if that is true.

What are your opinions on Downton Abbey?

Love?
Hate?
Not sure?

1 comment:

Jessica Shae said...

Oh I adooooore Downton Abbey!!! It's so so wonderful--and addicting! :)