Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Satisfied Woman

Satisfaction: fulfillment of one's wishes, expectations, or needs

Lately I have pondered this word and considered it deeply in my heart.  

Satisfaction entails finding peace and fulfillment in what God has granted to you. Sometimes only our needs are met and we must learn satisfaction in that--rather than desiring peace only in receiving what we want on top of that. 

Truth be told, God knows what we want and what we need. He sees the way we seek after material things to fill that void of "need" we feel whenever we walk the mall, see a better dressed woman, prettier makeup, more money, nicer house....the list is endless. When the consuming need for "happiness" overrules our desire for holiness, God will often keep the material gain from our possession until we learn what it means to be a satisfied woman. "The truth is, God is far more interested in our holiness than in our immediate, temporal happiness--He knows that apart from being holy, we can never be truly happy" (Nancy Leigh DeMoss). 

I would say that true satisfaction is reached when what we want is the same as what we need.  Lately I have been learning beauty tips from youtube videos. If you have never tried this I would recommend it for an inexpensive way to learn aids to makeup and hairdos. These have been a hidden blessing because I have learned so much that have allowed me to better impress and bless my husband when I present myself to him and to others. HOWEVER, they can cause dissatisfaction in your heart if you aren't guarded. I've never seen more materialistic women than those who collect literally thousands of dollars in expensive makeup, beauty products, hair dyes, lip creams, curling irons, Abercrombie and Fitch clothing, and more nail polish than I've seen on many drug store aisles. In my mind I soon find myself thinking, I could look like that if I had that powder, shadow, gloss, polish, her body...yeah. 

Don't get me wrong, using good quality, wearing a name brand, etc. is not wrong. In fact, if you can afford it, then GO for it! If you like Coach purses (I do) then it's fine to carry it. But don't become so dissatisfied with one that you have to go buy three. 

What does the satisfied woman look like? She is wise. She accepts the Lord and her husband's provision and buys what she needs to experience peace in that. When she finds satisfaction and peace in the fulfillment of her needs, then she is surprised, humbled, and blessed when God provides for her wants as well. 

In other words, be satisfied and not greedy. 
God, make me satisfied with my met needs that when my desires are also met I am blessed--and not expectant. May I be a satisfied woman and a blessing to my husband.


Loving the life I live...
Sarah

No comments: