Saturday, June 4, 2011

Cornmeal Pancakes and Summer

It's summertime. And although I start my last college class on Monday, I still consider these months to be summer. When I think of summer here at the Bartlett house I think of iced tea, popsicles, strawberries, melons, shorts, flip flops, panting chihuahua, and open blinds.

Strawberries and melons are finally in season and BOY am I glad to pay under $3 for succulent strawberries. I serve fruit with nearly every meal around here and when I got good deals on honeydew melon and cantaloupe I knew the hot days could come and we would survive. I love trying to make summer fun around here with cold fruits and healthy choices for my husband's sweet tooth.

This morning I tried a long-awaited recipe: cornmeal pancakes. Ever since I saw the recipe on Summer Harms' blog I knew I wanted to try it. Three weeks after being married I finally made them. I was nervous about how they would turn out, but my husband said, "Mmmmm."

I know.....that's huge!!

My husband is a man of few food words. If he likes it, he eats it. If he doesn't, I know it. He loved these pancakes and I can assure you I will be making them again. They are sugar free, whole grain, very southern, and wonderful with melted butter and syrup.

I felt like I had made huge strides with "healthy" food when Kyle didn't want to eat the last of his Aunt Jemima syrup and asked if he could use the 100% syrup since he likes it better. I've been trying to use up the last of the "maple flavored corn syrup" (aka AJ syrup) that I accumulated from his dorm room when we moved in, but he has been wanting the real stuff badly. I was so excited to see him want the healthier alternative! He loves pouring it on his pancakes, and I feel better knowing he likes it more.

I served pancakes this morning with turkey bacon, sliced honeydew, cantaloupe, and orange juice. It was one of our best breakfasts and I give this recipe five stars.

I am posting the recipe for the pancakes, and including the few tweaks I made. I hope you enjoy these as much as the Bartletts did!

cornmeal pancakes
originally lightly adapted from simple bites...

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup milk
3 T. butter, melted and cooled completely (I used salt free butter and butter was hot when I added it)
1 large egg, lightly beaten

whisk together first 6 ingredients. in a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients. whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined (mix will be lumpy) [mine was smooth]. heat a large cast iron skillet over medium low heat. grease lightly with coconut oil or butter. pour batter onto skillet 1/3 cup at a time. cook until edges are set (bubbles may not appear as with traditional pancakes), flip and cook until golden brown. keep prepared pancakes warm on a baking sheet in the oven.

Enjoy this Saturday with those you love....
Sarah

No comments: