Saturday, January 15, 2011

From the hotel bed...

I'm propped up in the bed of a hotel room...my feet freezing, my body chilled, my stomach happy and my heart full. It's been a BUSY week--no strike that--two weeks.

On Thursday of this week Mom and I drove to Ft. Worth and Kyle drove back to Mesquite...Mom and I came with the purpose of purchasing "dress casual" clothes for my job and she wanted to purchase the clothes I would need for married life. Aka, my "wedding trousseau".....I haven't been so humbled by a gift in a long time. She bought me pants, shirts, dresses, shoes, "unmentionables" and so much more.  She has taken me to some amazing stores like Banana Republic, Gap, Dillards, Macys, and Anthropologie as we have tried on, analyzed, and laughed together.

Honestly, I have stripped clothing more in the last two days than I hope to for a long time. In our family shopping for groceries or clothes counts as a workout. When I'm with Mom we do things "lickity split" and it qualifies as quick jogging. Escalators? HA! We get on the moving stairs and then walk up them. We head through the grocery store and leave skid marks when we have to stop. Yes, we are extreme. 

I have been so humbled. I know I've mentioned that, but this is why. For as long as I can remember my parents have sacrificed so much on my behalf. They have done without their desires to teach all four of their children around their table. Homeschool is expensive and they did it every year for four children in different grades. Mom has always clothed her family first and herself last. She has sewed late at night, saved her pennies to provide little girls new dresses, and done everything to take care of us. She rationed food so we were always fed and in my younger years I didn't know she split chewing gum between my sister and I because we were too poor to afford more than a certain amount a month. We aren't a rich family. Never have been. But the last two days she has taken her saved money and spent it on me. I have nearly cried over how gracious she has been. If you know me at all, you know that I struggle when people spend money on me. I have watched others do without to bless me, and it is such a humbling experience. Mom has lavished me in preparation for our wedding, and I stand amazed.

In watching her sacrifice and give I am reminded of how Christ sacrificed and gave His life. It was a selfless love that asked for nothing in return. Just as He was selfless on my behalf...and just as my mom has been so selfless....so might I be by the grace of God. As I have watched grace, so might I be gracious to others. As I have watched her bless others, might I in turn bless. "To whom much is given much will be required" (Luke 12:48)

I am headed back to Abilene as the next semester begins. Here comes the business...but I am so ready to be "home" in my apartment and back in my church. We are getting closer to wedding time...and I am one step closer to being Mrs. Kyle Bartlett.

Because He is gracious,
Sarah

2 comments:

I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud said...

Thank you for sharing. Your Mother is amazing!

I often think myself how much a mother dose for her children my own is very much like yours.

I love your posts they are always interesting, congratulations on soon becoming Mrs. Kyle Bartlett. :D

In him,
Felicity

Louise Leathers said...

Sweet Memories!