Sunday, January 17, 2010

Weakness

The last few days have been very very long. It was the first week of classes for the first semester of my junior year. Translation: seven classes, fourteen textbooks, 17 hours of work, and 4:45 mornings five days a week. I suppose that in my business, stress, and moments of overwhelmed emotions, God takes those moments to reveal weaknesses to me from the deepest parts of my heart. This has been difficult, but rewarding all at the same time.

In moments of great weakness, God reminds me yet again of this verse:

"To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me." 2 Corinthians 12:7

I have often asked my Heavenly Father, "Why am I still dealing with this sin area? Why don't You just take it away?"

In those moments He has to gently remind me that I am made to endure and face temptations to rely on HIS strength and be continually humbled in the presence of my King. He allows me to go through tough times, difficult trials, and humbling temptations but with a wonderful promise attached:

"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." 1 Corinthians 10:13

I don't like having to battle sin. Who does?! But God promised that He would provide escape for it--all the while reminding me that I face sin so that I would not become conceited. And believe me, I understand more and more why He continually humbles me. Apparently I have the sin of self-exaltation buried deep within my sinful heart. God allows the same sin to remain a thorn in my flesh to remind me that I am not self-sufficient....that I am not perfect....that I cannot do this walk of faith on my own.

The battle against my flesh is continual....it can only be battled with prayer and continuous time spent in the Word. I can tell that the last three days have been days of spiritual dehydration for me. I have not spent time in the Word since Friday--and I have battled sin SO MUCH in the last couple days. Am I the only one who sees a correlation here? The more I walk, the more I fight, the more I learn, the more I see that if I do not actively spend time in the Word each and every morning, then I battle sin harder through the day. I suppose King David spoke wisely when he wrote, "O God, you are my God; early I will seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is." Psalm 63:1

Please be encouraged to go dig into the depths of His word, sweet reader. Take it from one who is frustrated by her sin tonight--we only have one weapon to fight against sin and temptation...that being "the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God" Ephesians 6:17b

I need to go get into that Word tonight--to have encouragement for tomorrow and a reminder that "Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23

I'm pretty sure that last verse needs to be shouted loudly....I plan on doing just that.

Take courage--kneel in prayer, stand in faith, wait in patience, walk in strength that is not of your own doing.

Because HE lives,
Sarah

No comments: